When a Fulton student will be earning academic credit for an internship or co-op, a valid Student Placement Agreement (SPA) between ASU and the employer helps to ensure a safe supportive learning environment.
Ensuring there is a SPA, is just one step in the internship course registration process. Each student must check with their academic advisor for their specific registration paperwork process and deadlines. Please complete this Student Placement Agreement request form, then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “<Your Name> / <Company Name>- SPA request” as the subject line. The Career Center will check if there is an existing agreement.
- If there is a current agreement, you will receive an email confirming there is one in place. Please ensure you are following your department’s process for registering for the internship. The SPA process is only one element of the registration process.
- If there is not an existing agreement, the Career Center will send instructions and the agreement to your contact OR you can send this webpage link to your contact. Usually a company will elevate this agreement to a department that has authority to sign on the company’s behalf.
- Depending on the company, it can take several days or weeks for someone from their company to review and sign the SPA, so ensure your contact is aware of the process.
- Please ask your supervisor to include you in the email when they submit the SPA forms to ASU so you know they have done their part. Once ASU receives the forms, it can take 5-7 business days to get signatures and to return a copy to the company. Please check with your supervisor to learn if they have received a signed copy back.
- On occasion, a company will not sign a student placement agreement, which may mean you might not be able to earn academic credit for your internship.
- Depending on your academic department they might allow you to register for the internship course once the request has been sent to the employer. Your academic department may require a final SPA verification prior to you starting the internship. Please ensure you are following your department’s process for registering for the internship.
In order for ASU students to receive academic credit for their pending internship or co-op experiences, ASU requests a valid Student Placement Agreement between the employer and ASU to help ensure a safe supportive learning environment and meet Arizona Board of Regents requirements.
- Please read these Student Placement Agreement Instructions. Forward the instructions and the appropriate student placement agreement(s) to the person who has signature authority in your company if it is not you.
- Complete the Company Contact and Internship Details sheet.
- Complete and sign the appropriate Student Placement Agreement(s).
- If the internship/co-op is PAID, please complete and sign this Fulton Schools Paid Standard SPA.
- If the internship/co-op is UNPAID, please complete and sign this Fulton Schools Unpaid Standard SPA.
- If your company offers both PAID AND UNPAID internships/co-ops, please complete and sign both agreements.
- If your company wants to propose changes to the standard agreement(s), please contact the career center first.
- Please return the following .pdf documents (do not combine) to email@example.com, using “<Student Name> / <Company Name>- SPA completion” as the subject line:
- Typed company contact and internship details sheet saved as an electronically completed single .pdf document; and,
- Completed and signed agreement(s) each saved as a separate .pdf file.
- Once it has been signed by the company and approved by ASU, the company will receive an electronic copy. The student will not receive a copy of the documents, so please let the student know when you receive a signed copy.
- If your company cannot sign a Student Placement Agreement, the student may not be able to earn academic credit. Some programs require an internship for academic credit.
- Thank you for supporting Fulton Schools of Engineering students in their educational and professional pursuits.