Working in the USA- Internship opportunity for international students CPT/ OPT
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering aspire to develop leaders who are well-read, well-spoken and knowledgeable about current business practices. Experiential education is recognized as a complementary praxis and integral to the overall academic experience. To this end, the schools offer enhanced curricula, special courses and extracurricular activities to enrich the student’s stay and to offer every student opportunities to achieve the schools’ aspirations.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) /Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Contact your program’s Academic Advising to learn about their specific course registration requirements and processes. Contact the International Students & Scholars Center regarding CPT and OPT. You can also contact Ban Faris, Ban.email@example.com, Specialist Senior, International Students, in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering. The Career Center’s involvement is limited to requesting a Student Placement Agreement from employers.
F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a type of off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students. If you have an internship offer or you are thinking about completing an internship, learn more about CPT from International Student and Scholars Center.
F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a benefit from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that allows international students in F-1 status to gain off-campus work experience in their field of study before or after completion of studies. Learn more about OPT and OPT STEM Extension from International Student and Scholars Center.
School-specific Internship Information
Each of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering’s academic advising offices have information available to learn about the process for utilizing CPT or OPT. Contact your School directly:
- School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering Internship Guidelines
- School of Computing, Informatics, and Decision Systems Engineering Undergraduate information and Graduate information
- The Polytechnic School Internship Guidelines
- School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy Undergraduate Information, please contact the SEMTE Advising Office. For Graduate Information, click here: CPT
- School of Sustainable Engineering and the Built Environment overviews and contact SSEBE advising for information
- School of Electrical, Computing, and Energy Engineering Internship Guidelines