International Students CPT/OPT Internship FAQ
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering aspire to develop leaders who are well-read, well-spoken and knowledgeable about current business practices. Experiential education is recognized as a complementary praxis and integral to the overall academic experience. To this end, the schools offer enhanced curricula, special courses and extracurricular activities to enrich the student’s stay and to offer every student opportunities to achieve the schools’ aspirations.
Curricular Practical Training/Optional Practical Training FAQs
Contact the International Students & Scholars Center along with your program’s Academic Advising to be advised on CPT and OPT. The Career Center’s involvement is limited to ensuring therehttps://students.asu.edu/international/support/employment is a current Student Placement Agreement in place for internships.
F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a type of off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students. If you have an internship offer or you are thinking about completing an internship, learn more about CPT from International Student and Scholars Center.
F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a benefit from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that allows international students in F-1 status to gain off-campus work experience in their field of study before or after completion of studies. Learn more about OPT and OPT STEM Extension from International Student and Scholars Center.
School-specific Internship Information
Each of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering’s academic advising offices have information available to learn about the process for utilizing CPT or OPT. Contact your School directly:
- School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering Internship Guidelines
- School of Computing, Informatics, and Decision Systems Engineering International students may apply to use CPT if approved for this internship, read the CIDSE CPT Internship Overview
- The Polytechnic School Internship Guidelines
- School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy contact SEMTE advising for information
- School of Sustainable Engineering and the Built Environment overviews and contact SSEBE advising for information
- School of Electrical, Computing, and Energy Engineering Internship Guidelines